Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] question

From: "Plague, Grandmaster" <GrandmastrPlague () AOL COM>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:01:39 EST

Ports 137 and 138 are used by windows for netbios stuff. Just about every
windows machine has them open, but they aren't necessarily of any use. This
means that most likely, 123banners.com is a winnt machine, and thus has
netbios running. You can disable this on the machine, but my guess is that
the person who runs it A) doesn't care, or B) lacks the technical prowess
*snicker* to disable these services. I'm not sure if I answered your question
or not. But I would recommend that next time you have a question about some
particular ports, you consult http://www.portsdb.org or your friendly local
(no pun intended) services file. Hope I was of some help.

Grandmaster Plague