Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Ports

From: Mike Forrester <mikef () POCKETLINT COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:33:12 -0700

What OS are you running?  If it's a windows box, it could be a number of
things.  Most Windows 9x apps use a port above 1024 for all outbound
connections.  There are a few Windows NT/2000 services that do the same.
Start turning off services or closing apps one at a time and do a
netstat -an after each one.  You should be able to figure out which one it
is eventually.

Mike