Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Exploiting sequence number predictability

From: Riley Hassell <riley () WEB0 SPEAKEASY NET>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 20:50:43 -0700

Check out ADMrsh. ;)

  Riley Hassell
  Network Security
  Speakeasy Networks
  Phone : 206-728-9770x151
  Email : riley () speakeasy net

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Dawes, Rogan wrote:

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any tools for exploiting predictable
initial sequence numbers?  I understand the concept, and always see tools
like nmap reporting on the quality of the ISN. But I am wondering how
serious the vulnerability really is.  How easy is it to actually exploit the
weak ISN's?

I've also used tools like hunt, for session hijacking, but that presupposes
knowlege of the sequence numbers on the network, and doesn't really exploit
the predictability aspect.

Are there any tools around that exploit this, or are they mostly limited to
custom tools written for a specific situation?  What level of skill is
required to exploit a TCPWrappered telnet daemon, for example, assuming I
know the username and password, and the exact banner and prompts?

I imagine it is a case of:
1. determine the predictability algorithm (64k rule, or whatever)
2. Craft the packets required to execute the commands desired with the IP
address of a permitted workstation.
(packet 1 : SYN
 packet 2 : ACK xxxxx/username^M
 packet 3 : ACK xxxxy/password^M
 packet 4 : ACK xxxxz/echo > /etc/hosts.deny; echo attacker >>
/etc/hosts.allow; exit^M, or whatever)
 where xxxxx-xxxxz are determined by the ISN, the number of bytes in the
banner and login prompt, password prompt, and welcome banner/motd)

(I can see why the R services are an easier target, cos you avoid all the
variables in the login sequence, and can include your credentials and issue
your command in the (same) second packet sent, I think)

3. Check where the target machine is in its sequence numbers by making a
legit connection to, say echo, or whatever.
4. spam out a flood of packets that cover the range of ISN's based on the
time between the target machine answering the legit connection, and your
crafted packet arriving at the target.

Is this how it works?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Rogan
--
     -- Charles Forsythe <forsythe () alum mit edu>
--

Tel:   +27 11 806 6216
Fax:   +27 11 806 5202