Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] X25, all but forgotten?

From: Peter Van Epp <vanepp () SFU CA>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 08:45:27 -0700

We try to suggest to our client to test their X.25 but most of them do not
seem to be interested in that. Strange considering that quite often the
X.25 link will be behind the firewall.

        If war stories help, as part of a successful criminal prosecution for
cracking back around 1993 the cracker our way broke in to a US site considered
secure from the Internet side (to boast about the breakin on IRC) by going
from us (through 5 other broken sites) out an open outdial modem pool at a US
university (which never did get shutdown as far as I know despite requests from
CERT) in to a local X.25 pad and then in to the secure machine and out its
Internet port. I had to get management approval to release edited copies of our
log files to the site to convince them that they had been hacked. Their
response, (correct as far as it went) was along the lines "that machine is
secure from the Internet, you've been fooled by IRC spoofing" (the log files
were eye opening to say the least ...).