Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] SQL Server blank account

From: "Curphey, Mark (ISS Atlanta)" <MCurphey () ISS NET>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 13:20:35 -0400

If it's a default installation the stored procedure xp_cmd_shell is
permissioned so the everyone group can run it, and will enable you to create
a new user into the administrators group assuming the default sql service is
running as local system.

On a SQL 6.5 the password is in the registry in cleartext.

There are so many of these, its like an OS.

Examples of the above are in a PPT I just made
http://www.curphey.com/textware/pen-test-list-sql-server-1.zip.