Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] X25, all but forgotten?

From: edison <edison () DHP COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 13:52:31 -0400

Until recently I was employed by a baby bell that had many fingers in
the x25 pie, and suggested to my immediate mgmt that I could poke
around for any vulnerabilities.

Since it'd been years since I'd played on x25, I scoured the net for
newer resources than NUAA.  Most of what I found was european, since
most people in the States _have_ forgotten about it.  There's a couple
of script-based tools that came highly recommended, but none that
worked the way I wanted.  I started to develop my own, but that
project was yanked when my job was yanked (for doing the lightest of
exploring - not even real pen-testing, even though I was in the
security group).

Since most of my prior experience was with Telenet/PC Pursuit dialups,
I was gearing my app along those lines.  If anyone's interested, lemme
know.

-edison

P.S.  If you haven't picked it up from the mention above, be _very_
careful about doing any pen-testing in your company if it's not your
direct responsibility.  I even had my immediate management's approval
for what I was doing, yet because I had hacker tools which were
forbidden by corporate policy on my machine (the official reason;
ignorance and fear - the real reason), I was ousted.