Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] SQL Server blank account

From: Forrest Rae <Forrest () DIGITALDEFENSE NET>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:14:03 -0500

Hi,
        There are know vulnerabilities in IIS/MSSQL, particularly MSACD
RDS exploit.
        We encounters this most, and it is an easy technique to learn.
        Some info can be found at: http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/286
        Pay close attention to the VBA shell() Command.

--
Forrest Rae
Digital Defense, Inc.

Seth Georgion wrote:

Okay, so here is a question that we've encountered, internally, that
seems
to have been made more relevant by the recent Napster related
defacements.
Specifically, how is it that a hacker can subvert a system, i.e.
deface web
pages, change user accounts, on a system with a SQL installation and a
known
username and password. For example let's say you have a Windows
machine with
an IIS install and a SQL install, given an attacker with a valid,
administrator SQL username and password how would they be able to take
control of the server?