PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: European conferences

From: <jackadaniel () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 02:31:16 +0000

I think RSA US is a much bigger and better event than RSA Europe- for the right audience. It is largely about the
business of security, and security in the enterprise. It is not geared towards the hacker or practitioner.  It is
valuable for me, but I've been in vendor space for years and have business reasons for being there.  The talks are a
mixed bag, there is certainly a lot of vendor-centric “bought” content, and a fair amount of mindless drivel- but there
is some very good content, too. The content tends to be more enterprise and management-focused than Shmoo, BH/DEF CON,
BSides, etc.

The expo floor can be interesting, but you generally have to get to the edges to find new and unique things.  In 2014
the expo will flow into two halls, they're outgrown Moscone South.  It is overwhelming and horrifying the first time
you experience the expo floor.

Then there's the price, not cheap for a full pass.

I'll be at RSA US again next year, but will also be at BSides SF.  One is for work, the other because I like it (and
I'm helping organize and run it, so I kinda need to be there).

Jack