PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Running applications that require admin rights in Windows?

From: Nathan Sweaney <nathan () sweaney com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:11:06 -0500

The EncryptedRunAs program sounds very similar to old program called CPAU.
It's no longer supported, but still works fine on Windows 7 and it's free.
However, both programs have a serious flaw. In order to run the actual
command you want with the credentials that are "encrypted," they have to
have the encryption key and use it to decrypt the command. In other words,
at best you have several layers of obfuscation on top of an encoded
password.  Awhile back I saw a blog post showing how to retrieve the
password hidden in a CPAU file & I'm sure the same thing is possible with
EncryptedRunAs.

Ultimately it depends on the threat you're trying to mitigate. If something
like this is the only way for you to remove administrator access on users'
machines, then it might be worth it. The downside is that
a proficient attacker who's compromised the machine and is paying attention
might be able to use this configuration to get access to administrator
account. The alternative is that they're already on the machine running as
administrator.

If you do go that route, I'd suggest "encrypting" a local administrator
account with a unique password on each machine. It'll be more of a hassle
to setup, but you might be able to script it.