PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Running applications that require admin rights inWindows?

From: "Ryan" <randomrhythm () rhythmengineering com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:09:11 -0600

I use Windows permissions/access control lists to allow the group/user access to the required files, directories and
registry keys.  Figuring out what they need access to and that level of access is the tricky part.  Procmon
(Sysinternals/Microsoft) is a great tool for this and many other types of application debugging.  It will monitor file,
registry, process and network access to tell when the required application is running successfully as admin what it
accesses and what type of access it is.  What helps out a lot are the filters.  You can filter directly to the
executables that you want to make work and see for instance what they write to, create or delete.  This also helps when
running the required application as a limited user to see what it attempted to do but failed.

When talking Sysinternals I like to provide this link http://live.sysinternals.com/.  This site allows you to get
access to the Sysinternals tools all in one spot and without dealing with zip files. I use that site all the time.

Regards,

Ryan