PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Running applications that require admin rights in Windows?

From: Guillaume Ross <guillaume () binaryfactory ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:21:51 -0400

For those who have had issues with Time zones in the past, it's worth knowing that in Windows there are now two
different User Rights:

One for changing the system time (which non admins definitely do not need)
One for changing the timezone (which non admins greatly appreciate having)

Minor feature but makes a big difference.

For the rest of the stuff, as mentioned before:

1 - Delegate the proper permissions on the files and registry
2 - When that doesn't work due to hardcoded paths that are too wide etc - use Shims to make the application believe
it's writing in System32 but it's actually under the user's directory
3 - Troubleshoot with Procmon
4 - Worst case scenario some applications might need some weird access you are unable to delegate properly, but this
should be relatively rare and hopefully not on any application you have deployed on thousands of machines.