PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: CV for InfoSec Jobs

From: Tariq Rahman <rahmant () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 05:22:17 -0500

I would suggest first deciding which area of Security you'd like to focus
on.  Engineering, Operations, Risk Assessment, Auditing, Penetration
Testing, User Awareness, etc. - the list of options available as a security
related career path are pretty wide open.  Take a look at the field of
security related jobs on some common job search sites (monster, indeed,
etc.).  Once you've decided on a particular path, you can then try to
tailor your CV accordingly.

While Infosec is still a growing field, it's important to note that not
every organization will have the budget to hire a dedicated resource just
for security.  You mentioned your current role as a network/sysadmin - I'd
make the statement that many companies often need at least one person for
that role.  My own 2cents says that, unless you're going to focus on
security consulting work, you're likely going to be picked up for a
dedicated security role by larger organizations with budget and greater
security focus than smaller ones.  I don't know if that matters to you but
I thought I should mention it.

As mentioned by others, certs and a degree do matter, especially as you
start making your way up the food chain.  Whether or not those skills are
actually used is a different story, unfortunately IMHO they are likely just
"checkboxes" used to weed out the field of applicants for a position.

If focusing on a technical track, then as mentioned by others, I'd suggest
attempting to learn about a few security technologies in order to
distinguish yourself.  Firewalls, Intrusion Prevention, Content Filtering,
2 Factor Auth, SIEM and DLP are all good focus areas, but obviously pick
the one or ones that interest you and that you think you'd be good at.
Some of this tech is something you can learn yourself with a small lab,
others you'd pick up on the job, hopefully via some company-sponsored
training.

Hope this helps - best of luck to you :)

Tariq