PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: CV for InfoSec Jobs

From: TheTolik <thetolik () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 19:52:39 -0800 (PST)

You need to determine the track you are going in. Your income potential and ability to enter the space will
significantly improve if you have knowledge and any level of experience (Read: even in-lab experience) with common
enterprise security tools and technologies, especially SIEM, DLP, Encryption, Application Control, Mobility Solutions,
etc. If you don't have specific keyword skills, you will be quickly surpassed by a candidate that may have less
experience overall, but one that has key solution-based knowledge and experience.

You also need to understand your security domains. The best way to present that knowledge is via certifications. Many
in the industry brush them off as a joke, but most people in HR, as in the folks that actually qualify you before you
get to talk to the hiring management, will look for those and prefer candidates with any relevant certifications. If
you cannot qualify for one, at least do self-study to learn the necessary security fundamentals as your interviews will
likely be broad, and learning the CISSP domains, as an example, will do a great job preparing you.

Hope this helps.

Andy | Oxbeef