PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Information overload

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 09:29:13 +0000

On Dec 1, 2012 3:08 AM, "Jason Jarvis" <k41zen () me com> wrote:

I'm bombarded with articles to read, presentations to watch, new tools to
try and new versions of existing tools to try. This list grows faster than
I can get through them so I need to store them for when I have spare time
to read, watch and try out tools. Once I've tried and tested tools I like
to make note of the commands and switches to use as I'm getting old and
can't remember every switch for every command.

Does anyone have tips for storing all of this information. I've thought
about writing up articles once I've tested everything and storing them as a
blog locally on my Mac to reference during a pentest but this takes time
too. There's plugins for Chrome for the Mac and apps for the iPhone which
sync but I don't want to simply store a link to a website as if I'm onsite
during a test and Internet access isn't permitted then I'm stuffed.

Ideally I want something that is local, quick and easy to store for
later, but that can be structured sufficiently that I can find the
information quickly should I need it.

Any ideas?

I've started using Evernote for logging things I want to read or watch but
after I've read something technical, if I've played with it and want my own
notes or just want a backup of the article, I use Dokuwiki. Link to the
original, grab copies of any files and either copy paste the whole article
or write up what I need from it. The wiki lives on my laptop so is always
available on tests even when no internet connection.

Robin