PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: breaking in to security, trying to get answers

From: Brian Erdelyi <brian_erdelyi () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:26:13 -0400

Good survey.  Don't underestimate security incident response and handling.  I think a lot of people may come from a
help desk background.

My biggest advice is for people to build skill and experience in a particular technology first.  Your first job may not
be security related, however, as people trust yor skills you'll be able to transition to more security centric roles.
Know how to work with people!!!

To build street cred I also suggest people be active online in discussion groups and other projects.  Do research, blog
and publish articles.  Eventually you'll get a reputation for knowing your stuff even if it's not work experience.
Being recognized as an expert or leader is part of the challenge.