PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: What book for learning hack is good?

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 17:25:00 +0100

On 17 May 2011 15:30, Mohsen Mostafa Jokar <mohsenjokar () gmail com> wrote:
Hello all.
Please show me a good book for learning hack.i prepare a list of some
books,Please view they and tel me what is good for begin.

1-Buffer Overflow Attacks - Detect, Exploit, Prevent
2-Google Hacking for Penetration Testers Volume 2
3-Gray Hat Hacking
4-Hack The Stack - Using Snort And Ethereal To Master The 8 Layers Of An
Insecure Network
5-Hacking Exposed Linux Third Edition
6-Hacking Exposed Sixth Edition Network Security Secret And Solutions
7-Hacking The Art of Exploitation 2nd Edition
8-No Tech Hacking
9-Penetration Testers Open Source Toolkit Volume.2
10-The Shellcoder's Handbook
11-Silence on the wire
12- OWASP TESTING GUIDE

That is a quite diverse list of books, what area of security are you
interested in, I'd start there first. Are you a developer? If not then
numbers 7 and 10 and probably 1 will be way over your head as they are
aimed at developers. 2 and 8 go well together and 8 has a chapter from
2 included in it so you get a sneak preview. 8 is an awesome book

If you like wifi then Josh Wright and Co did the great Hacking
Wireless Exposed 2 recently.

I'm reading Ninja Hacking at the moment and that is more about the
mindset of a hacker and a test rather than explaining how to do one.

I'd say you have to start with something you are interested in and can
understand, go in early with something either too hard or something
you aren't bothered about and you will be put off and not get the best
out of your time.

Robin