PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: CA Question

From: Mike Patterson <mike () snowcrash ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:07:37 -0400

On 11-04-25 5:55 PM, Gibson, Samuel wrote:
RouterA is intended to be upgraded by installing RouterB with the same config.  Is it possible to transfer the signed
certificate from RouterA to RouterB in a way that allows it to remain valid, thus transparent to end users?

As long as you have the private key moved along with, it should be
transparent. It's my understanding - if you're literally talking about
routers - that some network gear vendors make it a bit difficult to do
this. I think our NOC guys had a bit of an issue with a load balancer.

But otherwise, there's no reason this shouldn't work for you. The CA
that asked you to implicitly buy a guarantee that your hardware won't
fail for the entire duration of the cert will be a poor one indeed.

Mike