PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Security Operating Procedures and beating people overthe head (fun fun fun)

From: k41zen <k41zen () live co uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:44:08 +0100

I particularly like the account lockout too and agree that talking, emails and security awareness training really don't
drive the point home. I don't think embarrassment would work too - getting them to stand up in front of 100 people to
recite the area of SOP's they didn't follow really isn't going to happen. However inconvenience and financial penalties
do seem to work though.

I may even use the boring security awareness training as a weapon and insist that before their accounts get unlocked,
they have to attend the training again BUT the other part of me knows that the training is failing and could be much
much better. I don't own this element but will try to assist in making it educational and, more importantly, useful.

I guess we have to do all that we can and that could mean a collection of approaches all of which some covered off so
far.

I have the buy in from my management but I work for an on-site supplier who wish to protect themselves from client-side
breaches. It's a good thing but I also have to tread carefully.

Thanks to for your replies. I'm still driven to find an out-of-the-box approach though. Something that has the
"ahhhhhhh" moment. It must be out there.