PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Need for college, verses formal training and certifications, in the security field.

From: Michael Douglas <mick () pauldotcom com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:01:36 -0400

You don't mention where you're at, so I'm not sure if your market is
somehow more starved for security folks than other places.

While having the diploma will go a long way toward opening doors, (and
hopefully maximizing your earning potential) you also want to be sure
you get solid experience under your belt too.  Many schools have
internship programs.  USE THEM.  When we interview people, there is a
clear difference between folks who are only "book smarts" and those
who've been out in "the real world".

Also I recommend you just mess around and see if you can make
something...  Just because you're a student doesn't mean you can't do
something really cool.  Case in point, Ryan Dewhurt made Damn
Vulnerable Web App while in Uni.   Maybe you're not a coder, find out
what you love and just do it -- go nuts even... that exploratory
freedom IMO is what college really is all about.

HTH,
- Mick