PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Need for college, verses formal training and certifications, in the security field.

From: Michael Dickey <lonervamp () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 11:58:57 -0500

Both types of experience will be helpful, with a slight emphasis on
practical experience. Definitely go after a security+ and if you have the
free time, try to snag any security or even any tech support/technical sort
of part-time job. That job can not only help get you some hands-on tech
experience and resume bullets, but some extra spending money to have a good
time in school and afford some gear or travel money to cons or party money
to hang out with local security geeks.

As far as mentors, you're starting in a good place on this mailing list!
Might want to include what school you go to, or whereabouts ya live. :)

Lastly, and maybe more importantly, enjoy your time in school. Have fun,
take it easy, and work on  your goals when you can.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Brandon McGinty <brandon.mcginty () gmail com