PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Open Curriculum for Network Security

From: Adrian Crenshaw <irongeek () irongeek com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:47:10 -0400

Hi All,
    A local university has asked me about teaching a Network Security class
for them. The teacher who use to teach it is leaving, but here is a sample
of his old schedule:

Ch. 1 – Security, Ch. 2 – Ethics, Security overview
Ch. 3 – Network Theory, Ch. 4 – Cryptography
Ch. 5 – Physical Layer Security
Additional material from demos and other sources
Ch. 6 – Physical LAN
Ch. 7 – Wireless networking
Ch. 8 – Layer 2 security, Ch. 9 – SLIP and PPP protocols
Ch. 10 – MAC and ARP
Review Midterm Examination (All topics covered up to this point)
Fall Break
Ch. 11 – Network Layer Security,
Ch. 12 – IP addressing and IP Security
Ch. 13 – Anonymity, Ch. 14 – Transport Layer security
Ch. 15 – TCP and UDP, National Security Directive 42 Liabilities
Ch. 17 – DNS security and related topics, Ch. 18 – VPN Technology
Ch. 19 – SSL technology and security, Ch. 20 – SSH concept
Ch. 21 – SMTP functionality, Ch. 22 – HTTP functionality
Legal aspects related to privacy and network security
Emerging ideas for security network of the future, Review
Final examination (All topics covered after Midterm Exam)

I hate to make people buy over priced text books, can anyone recommend an
open curriculum I could use? I could bit and piece it together from multiple
sources (Ligatt it, except I'd give credit), but I'd rather have something
that is all in one.

Thanks,
Adrian