PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Presentation Advice

From: Dave Ockwell-Jenner <doj () primeinfosec com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 22:13:51 -0400

Hi Craig,

I've given a very similar presentation earlier this year, and shortly dusting it off to deliver it again to a new
audience.

I took a similar approach to show the limitations of traditional security controls (firewalls, AV, etc.). I have a
virtual 'lab' consisting of three machines which simulate a small office. There is an endpoint desktop system, running
AV (in my case it's AVG Free--kept up-to-date), a server system hosting shared files and a web site, and a security
appliance (Untangle) providing networking routing, firewall, content inspection, etc.

Lastly, I have a separate 'attacker' system, running Metasploit. I took Metasploit's meterpreter payload, ran through
some AV evasion techniques, and encoded it up as a VBScript, which I embedded in an innocuous looking Word document.

I demonstrate that the endpoint system is fully patched and has fully updated AV. We try to access a few web sites
which the security appliance blocks, to show that it's working. We then open up the suspect Word document, which is
hosted on a professional looking web site, such as you might be sent a link to in e-mail, IM, etc. The security
appliance doesn't see a problem. IE doesn't see anything wrong with it's download checker. We even test the file with
AV manually, just to be sure.

The 'user' opens up the Word document, the meterpreter payload runs, and we have pwnage.

I then run through a few things in Metasploit: access sensitive files, cracking passwords and pivoting to attack the
server system.

Last time out, I mostly saw open jaws... and LOTS of questions, which was the purpose of the presentation :)

Good luck!
Dave.