PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Presentation Advice

From: Craig Freyman <craigfreyman () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:59:43 -0600

I'm giving a security presentation to a room full of non IT folks in a few
weeks. The point I want to drive home is that simply having AV and a
Firewall doesn't make you bulletproof. There is a big gap between what the
bad guys can do and what modern security apps can stop or catch. I think one
way to help bridge this gap would be to raise user awareness and to get
users thinking about security issues. I believe most users think that with
AV/Firewall and not clicking on links, they're safe.

I was planning on doing a live demo (crossing fingers) to make this point. I
will set up a rogue AP ("FreeWIFI Connect to ME!"), connect a client machine
and then demonstrate some MITM attacks. I'll also throw in some SET to have
some meterpreter fun. Password stealing, key logging, sound recording
etc... I know I cant get too technical and if I do, I'll loose the group. I
think this demo would get their attention but was wondering if anyone has
done this before and if so, what did you do?