PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Locking down Ports and DHCP

From: "Jody & Jennifer McCluggage" <j2mccluggage () adelphia net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:59:36 -0400

I agree with Tim about recommending  802.1x.  You can set it up so that the
switches will not allow access until the end-user authenticates themselves
on the network (via Windows RADIUS service, IAS, communicating with a domain
controller).  The 8021.X clients on Windows XP SP3 and higher are pretty
stable (it will work on lower versions but SP3 added some 802.1x
improvements). As Tim pointed out, more and more embedded devices such as
printers are now also supporting 802.1x.  For other embedded devices (older
printers, copiers, UPS,  etc), you can utilize MAC address filtering.  This
is less of an issue with these since they tend to be fairly static (i.e.
they won't be moving around much) and usually have some additional
compensating physical controls.  You will probably want to use MAC Address
filtering with your servers too. 802.1x tends not to work well with servers
since it requires authentication prior to granting port access.  If someone
has physical access to the ports that your servers are using, port
authentication is the least of your problems!

Also as Tim said, keep in mind that you are adding some additional moving
parts so more things can go wrong (8021.x client issues, switch issues, or
RADIUS server issues - over the years I have had to deal with all three at
one time or another but nothing real major).  That being said, except for
the occasional minor headache,  I have had very little issues with it over
the years. Also keep in mind that the workstation will not have access to
the network until the user authenticates with an approved domain level
account.

Let me know If you want some examples on how to set up using Cisco switches
and Windows workstations and radius/domain server.

Jody