PaulDotCom mailing list archives

party trick to shut up the non-believers

From: mmcgrew1 at mail.csuchico.edu (Michael McGrew)
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 20:37:37 -0700

Michael,

I remember hearing about that software on a PDC episode. It has a name, do
you know what that is? It was either the name of the software or they just
gave the "attack" a catchy name.

Thank you

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Michael Douglas <mick at pauldotcom.com> wrote:

I got a little late to the party... this is *not* a hack, but it shuts
everyone the hell up because it scares them.  And I've never had any
follow up questions

Here's what you do.  It costs a few dollars (pounds in your case
right?), but it's so worth it.  ssh into a server that's running some
form of VoIP software.  (skype can work for you i suppose, but I don't
know CLI for skype)  Setup a call group that has the phone number of a
good amount of people at the party... the more numbers you have, the
better.  Have the VoIP software call the group all at once (the PC to
phone rate is where you have to spend $) ... all phones ring at the
same time.   Even stranger, when they answer the call, they are all
talking to each other.  Warning: the effect is highly creepy.  I
thought folks would think it was funny (cause it is!) but it really
freaked everyone out.

That said, I tend to laugh off the "prove it" requests, unless it's
some hot girl... in which case I wake up from my pleasant dream and
remember there are no parties where hot ladies are asking anyone to
show 1337 skills.   ;-)

- Mick