PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Scanning for Intalled Security Software

From: pcimpressions at gmail.com (Tyler Robinson)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:27:46 -0600

Metalan by hammersoftware work flawlessly and outputs data to csv file or
many other formats plus has built in vnc options and remote depolyment
options all clientless.
TR

On Apr 26, 2010 6:35 AM, "Ben Greenfield" <bcg at struxural.com> wrote:

In my experience very very few organizations are capable of auditing
changes on workstation assets in a way that provides real assurance.

I think where most organizations completely drop the ball is on having
the audit capability per workstation (or per server or per device in
many organizations I've worked with).

I think the common practice is to stop with the easy task of
documenting that a particular asset class ought to and is approved to
receive an update, without ever doing the actual verification to
achieve the assurance that all workstations received the patch.

In some Military environments I've worked in their is a requirement
that in order to maintain network accreditation, daily credentialed
patch scans must be run.  There is usually a separate and distinct
role of Information Assurance Manager whose task is to verify that the
appropriate patch levels are being achieved.  Just so everyones clear,
if the network loses accreditation, that means that your upstream
provider disconnects you.

I think part of what creates the culture where organizations stop
before reaching assurance is that they see a cost benefit in not
separating the duties of patch application and patch verification.  I
think there are other, less admirable causes in some case as well,
such as ignorance or negligence.  I'm just using patching as an
example here, this applies to penetration tests, firewall audits, and
other areas.  The problem with not having the separation of duties is
that it creates a conflict of interest where a very often stressed-out
Administrator is the ground-zero for an organizations actual security
posture.