PaulDotCom mailing list archives

DDOS

From: lonervamp at gmail.com (Michael Dickey)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:24:48 -0500

Here are a few links that give some info.

1. Blog post about tarpitting in iptables to combat DDoS:
http://www.secureworks.com/research/threats/ddos/?threat=ddos

2. Excellent DDoS incident response paper by Jordan Wiens:
http://psifertex.com/download/Jordan_Wiens_GCIH.pdf
The very last page includes a "Stickypit" script which might give an idea
how to dynamically populate iptables while an attack is ongoing. Really, I
think the hardest part would be profiling the incoming traffic to determine
what is part of the DDoS so you can properly tarpit those connections but
allow the good ones in. In Jordan's case, the attack payload was
predictable.

I've not used it, but sounds like "tarpit" module support can be compiled
into the kernel.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Karl Bailey <