PaulDotCom mailing list archives

DDOS

From: Russell.Butturini at Healthways.com (Butturini, Russell)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:29:41 -0500

Sure, if you tweak and configure them right.  You can really do a lot to protect the CPU of your firewall with modular
policy framework and embryonic connection limits on the ASA.  TCP intercept and SYN cookies are old school though.  The
technologies available through modular policy framework and others on the ASA and 12.4 IOS train now are SOOOOOO much
better.  Do you have control of the perimeter router? You can always use policy based routing to the null interface,
modular QoS, and other features to protect the firewall as well if you do.  I can help more specifically with your
setup off list if you like.  I have TONS of ASAs and other cisco gear I manage.

As far as a solution off the firewall, The Cisco Anomaly Guard  is AWESOME for this kind of thing but it's big $$$$, as
I think most products in this space are.  You're better off to try your software based controls first.