PaulDotCom mailing list archives

mac vs pc (non-fanboy answers)

From: tadaka at gmail.com (Jason Wood)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:11:02 -0600

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:14 AM, Robin Wood <robin at digininja.org> wrote:

On 16 April 2010 01:55, Jason Wood <tadaka at gmail.com> wrote:
I like my mac because it's got a *nix shell underneath the hood, so it
makes
a great admin platform.  It's also a good place to write/test scripts and
then deploy them to a server with little modification.

The problem I see is that it isn't *nix underneath it is BSD and I've
seen some tools that work on Linux but don't mention BSD. I'm just a
bit worried that I'll end up spending most of my time in a Linux VPN
to get the tools. I can't think of anything specific so I suppose that
is another question, are there any killer apps that don't work on the
Mac that do work under Linux.

Good point.  I haven't run into too many application problems with it being
based on BSD, but your experience could be different.  I guess part of my
preference is that I'm more interested in what's going on at my servers and
I don't like spending time to mess with my laptop/desktop.  Though this
opinion has been changing some as I use different apps.

How is wireless support for things like packet injection with aircrack
and master mode for creating APs?

I've not been happy with the wireless on my Mac, beyond normal usage.  But I
don't work with it too much either, so it hasn't been killer.  Kismac and a
spectrum analyzer have been sufficient most of the time.

Bottom line is, that for my needs it works and I don't have to hassle with
it much.  Your needs sound different, so it may not be right.  You could
always pick up a used Mac Mini and try it out.  That's pretty much what I
did.

Jason

--

irc: Tadaka