PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Good time to Scan

From: nic at njclair.com (Nic)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:57:14 -0700

Juan,

  I don't know if there is ever a "good" time.  What I had to deal with in
the past was network traffic and slowing the computers down.  During the day
when productivity was needed it was found upon to do anything that might
make more network traffic or slow the computers down.

  I wound up using wake on lan and writing a web interface into a WOL
solution so I can be at home, VPN in and wake up the computers then kick off
the scan.  I never got around to sending a shut down command to them but
that was on the radar to do after the scan completed.  I eventualy got the
scan solution to do a prescript to do the WOL, wait for a specified time and
then start the scan.

BTW how did you get people to turn off the computers?  For a long time I had
to bug them to turn them off, or at least log off, they did not want to wait
for  the boot time in the morning.

-nic