PaulDotCom mailing list archives

odd nmap results

From: Russell.Butturini at Healthways.com (Butturini, Russell)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:16:58 -0500

Has anyone experienced filtering by an ISP affecting their nmap results?
During a recent external port scan of some IP space, using a full
connect scan, I discovered that tcp ports 25, 135, 139, 445, and 1025
were all being listed as filtered.  The SMTP port I can understand as
this particular provider doesn't allow SMTP connections to anyone other
than their own mail servers, but the windows SMB ports sort of blew my
mind, particularly since this provider's equipment serves as a
firewall/router in one device and everything is NATed.  Very frustrating
because now I have to clean up the results. Any suggestions how to work
around this?

This email contains confidential and proprietary information and is not to be used or disclosed to anyone other than
the named recipient of this email,
and is to be used only for the intended purpose of this communication.