PaulDotCom mailing list archives

DHS to hire up to 1,000 cybersecurity experts

From: tadaka at gmail.com (Jason Wood)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 09:35:21 -0600

Very good point.  Having never worked in this space, this isn't something
that I've had to deal with.  I'm more used to the opposite end of the
spectrum on procedures.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Ben Greenfield <bcg at struxural.com> wrote:

Having previously worked with a community along those lines, and left
for a smaller private company, I can say personally the bigger issue
for me was never salary, it was culture and inefficient bureaucracy.

In my limited experience I found that many government agencies and the
business partners who work with them had their hands tied by what seem
to the people in the trenches to be arbitrary policies that don't
always seem correct.  In my experience we were required to take orders
from multiple authorities, and often it was clear that they were not
communicating effectively with each other, and would frequently get in
pissing contests that left everyone beneath them at a disadvantage.

On top of that, the list of software and hardware we were allowed to
use required doing a cross-comparison between numerous lists that take
aeon's to get approved onto.  I can specifically recall situations
where I needed to apply a patch, but that the patch would have changed
the version number, and the new patched version number wasn't
approved.

My .02 cents is that the .gov infrastructure badly needs intelligent
infosec people making smart decisions, but that if they can't do
something about the culture of inefficiency they won't be able to keep
the good employees motivated long enough to enact the changes they
need.

I have positive things to say as well, but they aren't as interesting...