PaulDotCom mailing list archives

ngrep not showing packets

From: DPorcello at vermontmutual.com (David Porcello)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:52:49 -0500

Robin, what OS and ngrep syntax are you using? On FreeBSD here's how I would grep for HTTP GET/POST requests over port
80:

ngrep -I capture.cap -q -t 'GET|POST' port 80

When mixing search expressions with filters, the proper placement of ticks is key. On other platforms you may need to
use double-quotes instead of ticks. Also note that ngrep can't parse captures containing 802.11 frames or VLAN tags
(while tcpdump can).

More examples on my blog: http://grep8000.blogspot.com.

Hope that helps!
Dave.