PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Hackersforcharity and Tax

From: jaarbokczel at gmail.com (John Murphy)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:37:57 -0500

Hi Folks,

I'm a retired tax accountant and wanabee hacker who follows
pauldotcom.comfor what I can get
out of it plus the entertainment value. My take on the taxable deductibility
of donations to Johnny Long's HFC is when in doubt always deduct if you
legitimately gave. HFC.org could be exempt under an affiliated group. I once
represented a client who applied for and received 6 years retroactive
501(c)(3) status for a youth sports league. For those who are tax-geeky and
curious the IRS has published a few publications in .pdf on the subject. at
http://www.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/publicationsNoticesPdf.html . The
relevant pub numbers are 557, 598, 4220, 4221-PC.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Michael Miller