PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Password scheme for websites: How wll would this work, and has it already been done?

From: chris.biettchert at gmail.com (Chris Biettchert)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 21:43:09 -0700

If your goal is to use unique passwords for each site without having to
remember them all or carry around the password database, you could try
something like http://crypto.stanford.edu/PwdHash/

If someone is able to get acess to your master password they can generate
all of your passwords from their own installation without having to have
physical access to your password database (since there is no password
database). It also makes rotating passwords for individual sites difficult;
but like everything, its a trade off between usability and security.

This approach also has an interesting property of allowing an attacker who
has access to one of your site specific passwords (either by running the
site of gaining access to it) to perform an offline attack to try to
determine your master password since the program essentially uses an HMAC
algorithm using site specific identifiers as m and your master password as
K. That being said, its still a whole lot better than reusing passwords
between sites.