PaulDotCom mailing list archives

How not to get pwned at Defcon

From: j2mccluggage at adelphia.net (Jody & Jennifer McCluggage)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:04:38 -0400

I am as paranoid as the next guy, but some of these suggestions seem quite
extreme and a tad bit overboard. :)  If you follow security best practices
and use some common sense that will go a long way towards keeping you safe.
Here is a short list (certainly not exhaustive) that security minded people
should be following anyways that would go a long way: (this is a Windows
centric list)

1. Make sure that the system is fully patched (As Adrian mentioned, Secunia
PSI is a great free tool to check if all your major programs have the latest
patches)

2. Turn on Windows Firewall and allow no exceptions for originating outside
connections.  (as a corporate side note, I recommend that you enforce this
setting through GP for your machine connections outside of your Domain)

3. Disable file and print sharing.

4. Do not run as a local administrator. Unfortunately, Windows users seem to
have a tough time wrapping their head around this one. Certainly not a
panacea for all Windows security woes, it would go a long way towards
blunting many attacks and will stop many of today's common attacks dead in
their tracks (i.e. anything that attempts to write to areas of the file
system and registry that requires admin or system rights).  Though not
perfect, Vista and 7 has made it a lot easier to run as a standard user (I
know everyone hates Vista -- I personally think it got somewhat of a bum
wrap - though it certainly is a resource hog).

5. If accessing sensitive information over the Internet, do it over a secure
link such as TLS/SSL or SSH and verify the certificate/key (e.g. do not
simply click through those Firefox and IE certificate or SSH key error
warnings!).

6. Disable auto-run and don't be sticking strange USB/disks/drives/etc into
machine.

Though following these simple 6 steps will not ensure absolute security
(hey, what will?), it will certainly go a long ways towards it.

Well those are my points for what they are worth! (probably not much!)

Jody