PaulDotCom mailing list archives

How not to get pwned at Defcon

From: crvallance at gmail.com (Colin Vallance)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:36:40 -0500

Starting the thread.

First year going to Defcon for me so I'm just assuming everyone is out to
get me.  Here are the precautions I'm taking but please feel free to point
out flaws or additional items.

   - Laptop running Linux w/ up to date patches
      - Full drive encryption using Truecrypt
      - Firewalled using iptables
      - Laptop will be wiped clean upon departure
   -  Net connectivity
   - Wireless only to be used through ssh socks proxy on preconfigured
      server
         - Key and password required
         - Local machine set to deny connection if key changes
         - server to be wiped upon departure
      - Tether through iPhone
         - This will depend on if there is a patch before defcon for the SMS
         vuln
      - $$$$$
      - Credit Card with fraud protection
         - Card is not normally used so any transactions in Vegas or after
         will be easily seen
         - No RFID chip in this specific card
      - Cash.
   - Phone
      - Considering a prepaid number for the weekend to be tossed afterward.
         - This one could just be abject paranoia.