PaulDotCom mailing list archives

BBC E-mail: Snooping through the power socket

From: covertbits at gmail.com (Covert Bits)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:22:12 -0700

They also presented it at CanSecWest back in March.  There were two
different types of attacks that they demonstrated there.. one was sniffing
the PS/2 keystrokes from the power leakage... and the second (and cooler
IMHO) one was remote sniffing of keystrokes using lasers.

Basically they use a laser being reflected off the lid of a laptop as a
remote microphone and measuring vibrations, a technique which apparently has
been previously documented.. then they combine that with the ability to use
the "sound" of your typing to determine what key you're striking.  When I
type, each letter has a very slightly different sound due to variations such
as how fast I hit it, how hard I hit it, differences in the physical keys
etc.  So once you can tell the signature of each different key.. then just
take a long sample of keystrokes and compare them to a dictionary to map
each signature to the correct key.

The nice thing is all of that could be done offline, once you gather the
recording of the session.  After I saw this, I immediately changed my
password from "111111111" to include some other numbers as well... you know,
to throw them off.

Plus they had a killer presentation with "frickin laserbeams".. Cool stuff.

Slide deck from cansec is here:
http://cansecwest.com/csw09/csw09-barisani-bianco.pdf