PaulDotCom mailing list archives

What if child porn is encountered during research?

From: irongeek at irongeek.com (Adrian Crenshaw)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:44:50 -0400

If the CP in question is encountered while servicing a computer with a known
user/owner then reporting it is the ethical right thing to do. However, in
the case of darknet research it's next to impossible to know where it came
from, and if it was reported everytime a new image/video was found you would
be in calling an FBI field office every 20min. This has a huge chilling
effect on such research, or at least the publishing of such research. I'm
asking a lawyer I know on the issue, and in the mean time being careful
where I click.

Adrian