PaulDotCom mailing list archives

What if child porn is encountered during research?

From: jim.halfpenny at gmail.com (Jim Halfpenny)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:42:35 +0100

2009/9/10 Michael Dickey <lonervamp at gmail.com>

Personally, I think I would wipe it clean off. That's not something I'd
like to ever mess with or run afoul of.

But there may be value in forensically examining the files or the victims,
so it might be best to report the incident and turn over evidence.

I for one would not expect a friendly or sympathetic response from law
enforcement if I approached them with such evidence. My gut instinct is to
securely delete and ignore, grave though the crime may be. If you are not a
law enforcement officer it's not your business to investigate crimes and
doing so could land you in hot water. IANAL but I don't think you are duty
bound to report a crime if the only report you can give is, "Paedophiles are
using anonymising tools on the Internet."

Consult legal council. You may wish to document incidents where you are
inadvertantly exposed to such material and keep a copy of this log with a
solictor should you ever get into trouble.

Jim