PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Malware analyzing tools?

From: daniel at virturity.com (Daniel [Virturity.com])
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 19:43:58 +0100

All good suggestions so far. Just adding a few more tools to the list.
The most important one is that freeware between your ear of course. ;)

Rapier - http://code.google.com/p/rapier/
Gmer - www.gmer.net
oSpy - http://code.google.com/p/ospy/
helios - http://helios.miel-labs.com

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 13:45 -0400, Chris Hague wrote:
So a few things that I usually do as part of my forensic
investigations that involve malware.

I guess if you are analyzing malware as opposed to is my system
infected with it, then I would suggest using a range of tools and
resources.

For instance, if you have come across an unknown binary you could
upload it to a ?sandbox? like Norman Sandbox
(http://www.norman.com/microsites/nsic/), or Virus Total
(http://www.virustotal.com/) ? both are automated. If you prefer the
more manual approach, then I would recommend a VM like environment so
you don?t tank your machine. Use tools such as SysAnalyzer
(http://labs.idefense.com/software/malcode.php) [somewhat dated], but
still work. Another option is to use a debugger to see exactly what
the file is doing.

As suggested in earlier threads, use filemon, regmon, process monitor
and explorer, and Wireshark. However, if you have the time, set up a
2nd VM as a gateway basically becoming the man in the middle.

For the infected systems several of the incident response companies
offer free tools to help detect malcode
(http://www.mandiant.com/software.htm) is one of them.

I think Shaun?s last point is spot on. When in doubt, reload.

Hope this helps,

Chris