PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Malware analyzing tools?

From: chrishague at comcast.net (Chris Hague)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 13:45:46 -0400

So a few things that I usually do as part of my forensic investigations that
involve malware.

I guess if you are analyzing malware as opposed to is my system infected
with it, then I would suggest using a range of tools and resources.

For instance, if you have come across an unknown binary you could upload it
to a "sandbox" like Norman Sandbox (http://www.norman.com/microsites/nsic/),
or Virus Total (http://www.virustotal.com/) - both are automated. If you
prefer the more manual approach, then I would recommend a VM like
environment so you don't tank your machine. Use tools such as SysAnalyzer
(http://labs.idefense.com/software/malcode.php) [somewhat dated], but still
work. Another option is to use a debugger to see exactly what the file is
doing.

As suggested in earlier threads, use filemon, regmon, process monitor and
explorer, and Wireshark. However, if you have the time, set up a 2nd VM as a
gateway basically becoming the man in the middle.

For the infected systems several of the incident response companies offer
free tools to help detect malcode (http://www.mandiant.com/software.htm) is
one of them.

I think Shaun's last point is spot on. When in doubt, reload.

Hope this helps,

Chris

  _____