PaulDotCom mailing list archives

FW: NIT (Ninja in Training) looking for guidance.

From: paul at pauldotcom.com (Paul Asadoorian)
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:28:38 -0400

Excellent advice Michael!  It closely mirrors a post that will be up
next week on this topic.  I've summarized much of what has been posted
here and added my own experiences.

Bonus: remember I said I took a picture of my computers to an interview?
 I found the pic and its in the blog post ;)

Post should drop Monday, I link to this archive thread as a reference,
and hopefully we can encourage a whole new generation of grasshoppers :)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Paul

Michael Dickey wrote:
Lots of great suggestions already! I am inclined to say that you stick
to your BS studies, even if it is not focused. I know it is not
absolutely necessary, but it certainly does help and should repay you
back over time.

Some more rapidfire suggestions:

1. Get Security+ cert. It's not a glamorous cert, but it's an entry
level, inexpensive one that will get your feet wet. If you listen to
Pauldotcom regularly, you should be able to grasp the concepts and pass.

2. If you get a chance, pick up a job as a systems admin or network
admin. The background is extremely helpful and will add to your
experience. If you get a chance to work as a security intern, analyst,
or tag-along with a pen testing or auditing crew, consider yourself
really lucky for that opp!

3. Read, read, read. Read blogs, read mailing lists, participate as
necessary, and as much as not being afraid to work, don't be afraid to
ask questions, even those that sound stupid and basic. Few security
geeks know every technology field well enough to not sound stupid in
something at some point. Get used to it early. :)

4. Build your own network and start playing with tools. While I
shouldn't openly condone being a nuisance on open wireless networks, I
can't condemn someone for poking around them as well. Run some scans, do
some probing/sniffing, see what you can read/decode. Practical
experience effort should equal your reading time, eventually. Explore
BackTrack 3/4. If you read about neat tools, set aside the time to try
them out, even superficially. (A very hard thing for me, personally.)

5. When you get more confident in what you're doing, check out the OSCP
courses. They mix videos with reading with practical work. It's not
overly expensive and the money winds up in good hands. Consider it a
donation to BackTrack. :) I know some of the material in OSCP will be a
bit deeper like exploit coding and debugging, but consider it a
necessary challenge and learning opportunity. Mubix has mentioned (and I
agreee) that this may not get you a job in itself, it still demonstrates
desire and should expand your skills.

6. Combine the suggestions for being a volunteer with going to
conventions: Volunteer to help set up Shmoocon or other cons in your
area, if any. Find out if there is a local hackerspace or infragard
group and poke your head in. Few activities in security seem to be as
positive as working with other people and sharing ideas. Even just IRC
if you have the free time.

7. As Jack Daniel suggested, blog. Not for readers, but for yourself.
This gives others a digital "face" to see you and what you're into. It
gives you a personal sounding board to practice writing and organizing
thoughts. And it gives you a way to document what you do so you can
refer to it later on. "Now, how did I always set that server up...?"
Documentation is a key concept in IT, and is oft-missed.
8. As early as possible, think about learning a programming language,
especially if you have any background in coding or your courses include
anything like computer science "lite." If you don't know what to code,
play with Metasploit or even find some challenges online. Hopefully
Microsoft scripting does their annual "games" again and include Perl or
something newer (Python, Ruby). At the very least, learning some coding,
even if it is "just" Perl is not a bad thing.

Good luck!

www.terminal23.net <http://www.terminal23.net/>