PaulDotCom mailing list archives

NIT (Ninja in Training) looking for guidance.

From: gbugbear at gmail.com (Tim Mugherini)
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 11:01:59 -0400

Nick,

There is a lot of great advice here but wanted to add my 2 cents. I also
changed careers to IT when I hit my late 20's after spending 7 years at
UMASS getting my BS in Sports Medicine while working full time to support my
family. Not once have a regretted my "formal" college education. Nor has it
ever hindered me in obtaining a job in IT or IT security. If anything I
landed my current and previous jobs supporting IT Infrastructure and
Security within my industry in part because of my Life Sciences degree.

With that said, my advice is to make sure you love what you learn and do! My
first love was physiology - which is how I spent seven years only getting
4-5 hours of sleep a night. My second love was computers and security. Which
is how I only run on 4-5 hours of sleep every night now.

So take all the aforementioned advice from others and learn everything you
can. Find something you are passionate about and consider specializing in
that area of security. If you find your not passionate about what your
learning in school then change majors to something you are passionate about,
change schools, or take what you learn there everyday and apply it to
security (this could be a lot of fun). This goes for any remedial entry
level IT job you may have the opportunity to accept. While not necessary, A
college degree will only help you later on no matter what the major is in.
If anything, a formal college education will teach you focus, more efficient
ways to learn and retain information, and time management skills (especially
when you child is eagerly waiting for your arrival home).

On the flip side, some of the most brilliant people in the industry have had
no college at all. Ill let you decide.

There is a diverse group responding to your email here but I guarantee that
everyone who has responded here has one thing in common - they love and are
passionate what they do!

More of a pep talk than resources or a direction but I hope it helps.

Best of luck!

Tim