PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Creating usernames using Google and Linkedin

From: j2mccluggage at adelphia.net (Jody & Jennifer McCluggage)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:34:59 -0400

Thanks for such a great tool!  It worked without any problems on my system.

I still think the best defense against this is a strong password (or
multifactor authentication). In my opinion, it is best to not consider the
username something that is secret or secure (although you don't want to
broadcast them to the world either).  The only way that you could do that
would be to create random usernames which is probably not practicable.  Even
if you don't use one of the standard formats, your fellow employees, former
employees, partners, etc. will all be familiar with the naming convention
that you are using.   You have to emphasize the importance of strong
passwords to your end-users.  It is also good to show users how to create
good passwords since users can still create some pretty weak passwords that
meet common complexity rules!   ("Perfect Passwords" by Mark Burnett is a
great resource to assist with this).  Well that is my opinion for what it is
worth!

Also if you are working in a sensitive industry you may want to have a
policy against users advertising who they work for on a social network page!

Thanks!

Jody

  _____