PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Creating usernames using Google and Linkedin

From: tadaka at gmail.com (Jason Wood)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:06:01 -0600

The script definitely has its warts.  I didn't actually do anything for
middle initial other than avoid it.  Actually, it would be pretty easy to
add the middle initial to the variations if it is present.

                        elif len(full_name) == 3:
                                fname = full_name[0]
                                mname = full_name[1]  # new code
                                lname = full_name[2]
                                uname = fname[0] + lname
                                print uname
                                uname = fname + lname[0]
                                print uname
                                uname = fname[0] + mname[0] +
lname                      #new code
                                print uname                                #
new code

I'll mess around with it and see what variations I can add.  If anyone has
different username schemes based on name, let me know and I'll try to add
them in too.

I also noticed that the script doesn't do real well against large
organizations such as Yahoo.  Too many results come back above the
employees.  Something to keep tinkering with.

Jason