PaulDotCom mailing list archives

cloning traffic with iptables

From: dninja at gmail.com (Robin Wood)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:48:00 +0000

2009/1/6 Mike Patterson <mike.patterson at unb.ca>:
Robin Wood wrote on 1/6/09 4:23 AM:
2009/1/6 Don Berry <don_berry at comcast.net>:
Do it upstream on the network interfaces. Use the switch that the interface
is connected to and do port mirroring or cloning.

I'm designing a device which can be dropped onto any point of a
network to sniff traffic so need the device itself to do it.

Am I being simple, or is what you want just a bridge?  I did this with a
FreeBSD box, just bridged em0 to em1 and sniffed on the bridge device.
No reason you shouldn't be able to do something similar with iptables,
no?  (Of course, I hate iptables, which is why it was a BSD box and not
a Linux box, but I digress.)

I have the bridge in place between eth0 and eth1 but what I want to do
is to send a copy of all the traffic that goes over the bridge via
wireless to a second machine which can then analyse it.

I've managed to get something working using daemonlogger but I think
the encapsulation is messed up as sniffing the traffic I either get a
load of deauth messages coming from it or a load of LLC and XID
messages.

Robin