PaulDotCom mailing list archives

upgrading the kernel in Backtrack 3

From: nbaronian at gmail.com (Nick Baronian)
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 16:06:26 -0500

I don't have any experience modifying the backtrack kernel but wouldn't
recommend it since the guys at remote-exploit took a lot of great care
tweaking the kernel just right to work with so many modules and patches.
Upgrading it will likely cause a ton of things not to work and you will
probably spend hours correcting/duplicating their settings but more power to
you if you do decide to do it.

I can't say for certain that this is the correct way to upgrade the
backtrack kernel but I will assume you have backtrack installed somewhere so
from there I would download the kernel version you want uncompress it to
/usr/src/.  Copy the kernel config file from the current backtrack kernel
probably ".config" in the /usr/src/linux into the /usr/src/newkernel-ver and
then in do a "make oldconfig" to hopefully preserve and merge most of the
original kernel settings.  From there do a "make menuconfig" and edit the
kernel to your liking or for adjustments.  Save the kernel and do a "make &&
make modules_install".  Then copy the new kernel image to the boot dir "cp
arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/BT-kernel-2.6.2blahblahblah".  I also copy the
.config to the /boot dir as a backup, cp .config
/boot/config-BT-kernel-2.6.2blahblahblah".  Edit the lilo or grub conf
(can't remember what BT uses) add your new kernel by copying the current
setting and adjusting the file names.  You should also remove the old
symlink of /usr/src/linux and then create a new symlink for
/usr/src/kernel-newversion to /usr/src/linux.  Reboot and hopefully it
works.  Then get to patching crap.

-Nick