PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Webcam/microphone monitoring

From: dninja at gmail.com (Robin Wood)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 13:24:08 +0000

2008/12/19 Nathan Sweaney <NSweaney at tulsacash.com>:
While purchasing some new laptops a discussion came up about the trend
towards built-in webcams and associated security concerns.  If I
remember correctly, back in the day Back Orifice could discretely
monitor the host's webcam and microphone.  Are there any more recent
applications that do anything similar?  Has anyone seen recent research
in this area?

If possible I'd like to be able to show the potential danger & recommend
that we disable any built-in webcams that aren't necessary, but I'm also
interested in the ability for use during pen-tests.

At a conference I went to earlier in the year a stand was giving out
blank 3.5m jack plugs that you plugged in to the mic socket on the
laptop, most machines apparently disable the internal mic when they
think an external one is plugged in.

Doesn't help show the danger but is a very cheap fix if you decide there is one.

Robin