PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Webcam/microphone monitoring

From: cmerkel at gmail.com (Chris Merkel)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 14:04:54 -0600

So the idea here is to disable the microphone port but not the usb that
provided the original avenue for infection? (Or are people still advocating
gluing them shut as well?)

- Chris

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Robin Wood <dninja at gmail.com> wrote:

If possible I'd like to be able to show the potential danger & recommend
that we disable any built-in webcams that aren't necessary, but I'm also
interested in the ability for use during pen-tests.

At a conference I went to earlier in the year a stand was giving out
blank 3.5m jack plugs that you plugged in to the mic socket on the
laptop, most machines apparently disable the internal mic when they
think an external one is plugged in.

Doesn't help show the danger but is a very cheap fix if you decide there is
one.